Friday, August 24, 2012

School Update

Just wanted to put a quick update. I've been extremely busy with school, work, and family life so I haven't had much time to put into learning more about the InfoSec industry. That is about to change though. I have decided to not return to NC State to pursue my Masters in Computer Science. They offer almost no security related classes through their distance education program and that has had me conflicted for a few months.

After doing some searching I found a program that I am interested in at Western Governors University and they have a Masters in Information Security and Assurance. The school is accredited and seems legit from the research I've done so far. One of the things I like about the school is you basically learn at your own pace and when you know the material you can take an assessment to prove you know the material and you are done with that course. They have 6 month sessions and have a flat rate tuition ($3000) for a session no matter how many assessments you end up passing. That is a lot less expensive than most schools I've looked into. They also use some industry certifications as their assessments (CCENT, C|EH, C|HFI, GIAC G2700) so it would be good to come out of school with a Masters and some certs.

My plan is to take a year off of school and start learning more about the industry, I'm mainly interested in penetration testing, forensics, and malware. I'm hoping to post some of my experiences here over the next year on what I am learning and how I'm going about it. Another reason for taking a year off is we have our 3rd child due to arrive around the first of the year so there will be some life changing going on. Hopefully I'll stay sane enough to get in some InfoSec learning......

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment