Friday, August 24, 2012

Roadmap

I finished up with school a few weeks ago and have been unwinding a bit enjoying the rest of the summer. I have been contemplating on where to go from here regarding learning more about the InfoSec industry. I really want to just jump head first into things like penetration testing, forensics, and malware analysis but I think I need to brush up on some basics before I do that. I don’t want to jump into some of those topics and get overwhelmed and stall out. I plan on focusing this blog on the topics mentioned above after I cover some of the basics. I have an extreme interest in pen testing so that will probably be the main topic I focus on after I get up and running.

To help me I wanted to put together kind of a roadmap on what I want to learn. This has changed a few times over the last few weeks but I feel pretty good about it now.

Finish reading Counter Hack Reloaded
- I’m currently on Chapter 8 and so far it is a good read. Learning a lot about how attackers do the things they do

Study for and take the Network+ exam
- I see this as a good foundation going forward. I have a good grasp on Networking in general from my career experience so hopefully this won’t be terrible
- I will be using This Book to study for it

Study for and take the Security+ exam
- This is also to set more foundation going forward.
- I will be using This Book to study for the exam

Then I plan to start digging deeper and learn Metasploit.
- I will be using this book This Book to learn it.
- I also intend on using things like SecurityTube which has a Megaprimer on Metasploit

Learn Python
- It seems to be a language that is used quite heavily in the industry.
- One resource I will use is Learn Python The Hard Way but I also have a few books on O’Reilly books that I have picked out.


I believe that is a good start and should probably keep me busy for the next 6 months to a year. I'm hoping to have 1 or 2 blog posts per month but it will depend on what kind of time I have.

Until next time....See Ya!!

No comments:

Post a Comment