Saturday, December 29, 2012

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

It has been quite a while since I have posted anything to this blog. Life has been very busy the past few months. Between an email migration at work and our third child arriving about 10 days ago life has been hectic. I have been able to work on studying for my Security+ certification though. I finished reading CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Cert Guide, Deluxe Edition (2nd Edition) and it was a pretty good read. I was scoring around 95% on most of the quizzes at the end of the chapters and the first practice test I took I scored about 82%. Not real thrilled with that score and I definitely have a weakness when it comes to some of the crypto stuff so I will need to concentrate on that more. My experience as a systems admin has definitely helped me when it comes to some of the material. Learning Exchange 2010's Roles Based Access has definitely helped along with other things like deploying SSL certs.

I keep hearing about how good Darril Gibson's CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide book so I bought the Kindle version on Amazon for $9.99 and am currently going through it. I'm only in chapter 2 but so far I like his writing style and he gives great examples of certain security concepts. His "Remember This" sections throughout the chapters are great to put into my OneNote notebook for easy reading later. I think it will be a great way to brush up on the material while studying.

I am also reading CompTIA Security+ Rapid Review (Exam SY0-301) on my Motorola Xoom when I don't have time to sit down and read Darril's book and take notes. After I have finished these books and read over my notes a few times I will be using CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Practice Questions Exam Cram (3rd Edition) for practice tests and do my final preparations for the test.

Overall I feel pretty confident I can pass this exam and move on to the next step.

I've been really trying to figure out what my next steps are going to be after Security+. After looking at some Pen Testing jobs on some job boards to figure out the tools, certifications, and skills that are listed the most I believe my next step may be doing the C|EH certification. Also, I'm looking at doing the SecurityTube Python and Metasploit certifications. Finally, I really want to go after the OSCP certification but I have a lot to learn before I can even attempt that. This should keep me busy for the next year to 18 months I would think. There is so much to learn and I can't wait to keep trucking along…..

No comments:

Post a Comment